You hear pizza, you think cheese that flows like roof tar; pepperoni slices cupping in the oven, filling with grease; and a crust so overladen with toppings it droops like sorrow when you try to lift a slice.
This pizza (along with the other five we designed for summer) is different. It is both elegant and summery, full of flavor from good-quality cheeses and produce—so flavorful, in fact, that you won’t even notice it’s vegetarian.
- 1Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- 2Divide the pizza dough into 2 balls and shape them into 1/4-inch-thick crusts.
- 3Spread the pesto on the crusts, add a layer of mozzarella, slices of squash, salt to taste, and onion slices.
- 4Bake until the crusts are crispy and golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- 5Brush the crusts with olive oil and sprinkle the pizzas with Parmigiano-Reggiano. Serve while hot.