A tangy, slightly sweet marinade of lemon, soy sauce, brown sugar, and ginger adds sparkle to salmon, and asparagus balances the richness. Pack up these kebabs for a summer cookout, or grill them on the back deck for a casual but stepped-up dinner party. Wild salmon in season is leaner than the farmed variety, and friendlier to the oceans.
- 1In a bowl, whisk together the lemon zest and juice, soy sauce, ginger, and brown sugar. Add the salmon chunks and toss to coat. Cover and let marinate for 1 hour.
- 2Meanwhile, soak the skewers in water for 30 minutes.
- 3Bring a saucepan of salted water to a boil, add the asparagus, and blanch until just barely tender, about 1 to 2 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water to stop the cooking.
- 4Prepare a charcoal or gas grill for direct-heat grilling over medium heat. Remove the salmon from the marinade and thread it onto the skewers with the asparagus spears, distributing the ingredients evenly.
- 5Brush and oil the grill grate. Grill the skewers, turning once, until the fish is cooked through and nicely charred, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a platter, garnish with cilantro if you like, and serve.