At his Lt. Waffle bar inside San Francisco’s Linea Caffe, Chef Anthony Myint pays homage to churros by coating a thick, yeast-raised waffle with cinnamon sugar, then drizzling it with a subtly chile-spiked chocolate sauce and luscious Mexican crema enriched with coconut cream.
This recipe was featured as part of our Valentine’s Day feature on romance waffles.
- 1Heat the oven to 250°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Set a wire rack on a baking sheet and place it in the oven.
For the yeast mixture:
- 1Stir together the milk, sugar, and yeast and set aside to activate for 15 minutes.
For the waffles:
- 1In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, semolina, cornstarch, salt, and baking powder; set aside. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, melted butter, milk, half and half, vanilla, and activated yeast mixture.
- 2Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the wet mixture, whisking in the dry mixture from the sides until you get a fairly smooth batter (small lumps are OK). Cover and let sit at room temperature until risen, at least 1 hour. (You can also cover and refrigerate overnight, allowing it to warm at room temperature for 1 hour before making the waffles.)
- 3Heat the waffle iron to medium according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Once the iron is heated, brush it with vegetable oil, fill it with batter, close the lid, and cook until the waffle is golden brown (when the steam starts to diminish from the iron, you can open the top and peek for doneness). Transfer the waffle to the wire rack on the baking sheet in the oven to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining batter, brushing the iron with oil as needed.
For the cinnamon sugar:
- 1Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl; set aside.
For the chocolate sauce:
- 1Combine the cocoa powder and sugar. Whisk in the water, espresso, chili powder, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt until smooth.
For the coconut crema:
- 1Mix the coconut cream and sugar, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Whisk in the vanilla and crema or crème fraîche.
- 1Sprinkle each waffle with cinnamon sugar, drizzle with chocolate sauce and coconut crema, then sprinkle with additional cinnamon sugar.