Aloo Gobi (Potatoes and Cauliflower)
This spiced cauliflower and potato recipe cooks in one pan, making it a hassle-free weeknight side dish. Start by browning diced potatoes, then add mustard seeds, ginger, garlic, and spices and cook until fragrant. Add cauliflower and steam until tender. To finish, stir in a pat of butter to melt all over the vegetables. This assertively spiced dish can be served over steamed rice for a hearty vegetarian meal, or next to a simple roasted chicken for dinner.
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes (about 4 medium potatoes), large dice
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 4 teaspoons peeled and finely chopped fresh ginger (from about 1 [2-inch] piece)
- 3 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 medium head cauliflower (about 2 pounds), trimmed and cut into 1-inch florets
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a large frying pan (not nonstick) over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the potatoes and season with salt. Cook, occasionally tossing and scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan with a flat metal spatula, until the potatoes are beginning to brown in spots, about 6 minutes. Scrape the potatoes into a medium bowl and set aside.
- 2Reduce the heat to medium, add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the pan, and heat until shimmering. Add the mustard seeds and toast until fragrant and popping, about 1 minute. Add the ginger, garlic, cumin, measured salt, coriander, turmeric, and cayenne and cook, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- 3Add the cauliflower and stir to coat in the spices. Return the potatoes to the pan, add the water, and stir to combine. Cover with a tightfitting lid and cook until the cauliflower is tender, about 10 minutes. Add the butter and stir until it’s melted and coating the vegetables. Taste and season with salt as needed.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved