One night I was enjoying a couple of these cocktails with a friend who got to the bottom of his glass quicker than expected. I warned him that the blend of fino sherry, citrus juice, Cointreau, and allspice liqueur is dangerously easy to gulp, explaining that I’d made that mistake before at the start of an evening and it was soon the end of me. He laughed and said, “Well, then this cocktail is your alpha and omega … your beginning and end!”
What to buy: Allspice liqueur (a.k.a. pimento or allspice dram) is available at specialty liquor stores. We like the St. Elizabeth brand distributed by Haus Alpenz.
- 1 1/2 ounces fino sherry
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed mandarin orange or tangerine juice
- 1/2 ounce Cointreau
- 1/4 ounce St. Elizabeth allspice dram
- 1 mandarin orange or tangerine twist
- 1Fill a rocks glass with ice and set it aside.
- 2Place the sherry, juice, Cointreau, and allspice dram in a cocktail shaker. Fill the shaker halfway with ice and shake vigorously until the outside is frosty, about 30 seconds. Strain into the prepared glass and garnish with the twist.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved