Roasted Cauliflower with Salsa Verde Recipe
Roasting cauliflower helps concentrate its flavor and gives it tasty crusty bits that boiling or steaming just can’t deliver. Here, two heads of cauliflower are roasted until browned and tender, then topped with an easy salsa verde made in the blender with fresh herbs, anchovy, garlic, lemon, and olive oil. Serve this side dish to a crowd at a holiday dinner with a rack of lamb or on a weeknight with roasted chicken.
Game plan: The salsa verde can be made up to 8 hours in advance and stored in the refrigerator.
For the salsa verde:
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves (from about 1/2 bunch)
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 anchovy fillets
- 1 medium garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Finely grated zest of 1 medium lemon
- Juice of 1 medium lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon capers
For the cauliflower:
- 2 large heads cauliflower (about 4 pounds total), cut into bite-sized florets
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Place the parsley, basil, anchovies, garlic, oregano, lemon zest, juice, and salt in a blender. Blend on high until evenly combined, about 1 minute. Stop the blender and scrape down the sides of the pitcher with a rubber spatula. Return the blender to high speed, remove the small cap from the lid (the pour lid), and slowly drizzle in the oil. Turn off the blender, add the capers, and pulse until they’re coarsely chopped, about 5 (1-second) pulses.
- Transfer the salsa verde to a medium bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 8 hours.
For the cauliflower:
- Heat the oven to 500°F and arrange the racks to divide the oven into thirds.
- Place half of the cauliflower, half of the oil, and half of the salt in a large bowl and toss to combine. Transfer to a baking sheet and spread into an even layer. Repeat with the remaining cauliflower, oil, and salt and transfer to a second baking sheet.
- Roast for 15 minutes. Stir the cauliflower (be careful of steam when opening the oven), then rotate the baking sheets front to back and top to bottom. Continue to roast until knife-tender and browned in spots, about 8 to 10 minutes more.
- Transfer the cauliflower to a serving dish and drizzle with the salsa verde. Serve warm, at room temperature, or cold.