Chocolate Pound Cake Recipe
This chocolate cake recipe is delicious. We love a buttery and dense pound cake, but we thought a chocolate version would be even better so we folded lots of dark cocoa into the batter to give it a deep chocolate flavor. After the cake is baked and cooled, it’s drizzled with a chocolate glaze made from semisweet chocolate, cream, and a bit of corn syrup to keep the glaze gooey and shiny. This moist, rich, yet lightly textured cake makes a great hostess gift or is right at home on a holiday dessert table.
For the cake:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 3/4 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for coating the pan
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
For the glaze:
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Coat a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with butter; set aside.
- Place the flour and salt in a medium bowl and whisk to combine and aerate; set aside. Place the cocoa in a medium heatproof bowl. While whisking constantly, slowly pour in the boiling water and whisk until smooth and combined; set aside.
- Place the measured butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and beat on medium speed until lightened in color and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl and the paddle.
- Add the vanilla and reserved cocoa mixture and beat on medium speed until combined, about 1 minute. Add the eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl and the paddle.
- Turn the mixer to low speed, slowly add the reserved flour mixture, and mix until the flour is just incorporated. Stop the mixer, remove the bowl, and stir in any remaining flour streaks by hand, making sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread it into an even layer. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 50 to 60 minutes. Meanwhile, set a wire rack over a baking sheet and set it aside.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool in the pan on the wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove the cake from the pan and let it cool completely on the wire rack before making the glaze, about 45 minutes.
For the glaze:
- Place the cream and corn syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat and, stirring occasionally, bring to a simmer. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the chocolate until smooth and combined. Pour over the cooled cake.