Creamy Mushroom Gravy
This easy creamy gravy, spiked with Marsala wine, can be whisked together while the main event of your meal is cooking. Start by browning mushrooms in butter to give the gravy plenty of savory flavor. Add flour to thicken, simmer in Marsala wine and beef broth, and finish with heavy cream. Serve this versatile gravy with everything from meatloaf to beef Wellington.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 ounces cremini mushrooms, stems trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dry Marsala wine
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth or stock
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1Heat the butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat until foaming. Add the mushrooms and shallots and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring rarely, until the mushrooms are slightly browned and soft, about 5 minutes.
- 2Reduce the heat to medium, sprinkle in the flour, and stir to coat the mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the flour is lightly toasted, about 3 minutes. Add the wine and stir with a wooden spoon, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook until the wine is completely reduced, about 30 seconds.
- 3Slowly pour in the broth or stock and whisk until smooth. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until the gravy has thickened and coats the back of a spoon, about 2 minutes.
- 4Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cream. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved