Brown Butter Hasselback Potatoes (Accordion Potatoes)
Making lots of thin slices in these potatoes exposes their interiors so they better absorb the flavorful thyme-garlic butter. Getting the cuts even is a little tricky, but don’t worry if you slice all the way through by accident—the potatoes will still taste delicious. As they bake, the butter browns, developing a deep, nutty flavor; the browned butter is then drizzled over the potatoes as they finish cooking. Serve with chicken cordon bleu or prime rib.
What to buy: Look for potatoes that are similar in shape and size to help them cook evenly.
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 8 fresh thyme sprigs
- 4 medium garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 (6-ounce) Yukon Gold potatoes (about 3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives (from about 1 bunch)
- 1Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the lower third.
- 2Place the butter, thyme, garlic, salt, and pepper in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the butter has melted and the salt has dissolved, about 8 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- 3Place 1 potato on a cutting board and make parallel crosswise cuts about 1/8 to 1/4 inch apart, leaving at least 1/2 inch of the potato’s base intact. Repeat with the remaining potatoes.
- 4Place the potatoes cut-side up in a 13-by-9-inch baking dish. Remove and discard the thyme sprigs and garlic from the butter mixture. Evenly drizzle about half of the butter mixture over the tops of the potatoes. Cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- 5Remove from the oven, uncover, and evenly drizzle the remaining half of the butter mixture over the potatoes (rewarm over low heat if the butter has solidified). Cover with the foil and bake for another 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, uncover, and baste with the browned butter in the bottom of the dish. Cover with the foil and continue to bake until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 20 minutes more. Transfer to a serving dish and drizzle with the remaining butter in the dish. Sprinkle with the chives and serve.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved