Mustard Greens Salad with Anchovy Dressing Recipe
Mustard greens are the peppery, leafy tops of the mustard plant, and they’re usually served cooked. In this salad, we serve them raw so they retain their pungent bite. Whisk together an easy Caesar-inspired dressing, crisp up some croutons, and toss with the greens, some Gruyère cheese, and sweet pear slices. Serve with mustard-friendly dishes like baked cod or crispy baked chicken breasts.
- 2 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 1 medium garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups large-dice crusty bread
- 1 bunch mustard greens (about 10 to 12 ounces)
- 1 medium crisp pear, such as Anjou
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère cheese (about 2 1/2 ounces)
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Heat the oven to 425°F and arrange a rack in the middle. While it’s heating, make the dressing.
- Place the anchovies and garlic on a cutting board. Make a paste by pressing down on the blade of a chef’s knife and dragging the side of it across the garlic and anchovies at a 15-degree angle, alternating between smashing them together and chopping the mixture, until a fine paste forms.
- Transfer the paste to a large, nonreactive bowl, add the vinegar, season with salt and pepper, and whisk to combine. While whisking continuously, add 1/4 cup of the oil in a slow, steady stream until it’s fully incorporated; set aside.
- When the oven is ready, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a large oven-safe frying pan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the bread, season with salt and pepper, and stir to coat in the oil.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 5 minutes. Stir the croutons and bake until crispy and golden brown, about 5 minutes more. Remove the pan from the oven and set aside.
- Cut out the tough stems from the mustard greens and discard. Arrange the leaves in stacks, slice in half lengthwise, and then cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces. Wash and dry the greens; set aside. Core the pear and cut it into thin slices.
- Whisk the dressing to recombine, add the mustard greens, and toss to coat. Add the pear, cheese, almonds, and croutons and toss to combine. Serve immediately.