Baked Ginger Sweet Potatoes Recipe
The glaze for these sweet potatoes is made from orange juice, apricot preserves, and spicy ginger, plus a bit of salt to balance out the sweetness. Once the glaze is made, shingle the sweet potato rounds in a baking dish and baste them with the glaze as they bake. This simple dish is an excellent side for a weeknight dinner of pork chops, but it’s also pretty enough to serve for Thanksgiving.
What to buy: To make sure the sweet potatoes cook evenly and shingle easily, buy ones that are about 3 to 4 inches in diameter at their widest point.
- 3/4 cup apricot preserves
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (from about 1 medium orange)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon peeled and grated fresh ginger (from about 1 [3-inch] piece)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 4 pounds medium Garnet sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
- Heat the oven to 425°F and arrange a rack in the middle.
- Place the preserves, orange juice, butter, ginger, and salt in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring occasionally, and cook until the butter and preserves are melted and smooth, about 6 minutes.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large bowl, drizzle with a third of the apricot mixture (about 1/2 cup), and, using your hands, toss to coat. Shingle the slices in a 13-by-9-inch baking dish. Cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven and remove the foil. Drizzle with another third of the apricot mixture and bake uncovered for 10 minutes. Drizzle with the remaining third of the apricot mixture and bake uncovered until the sweet potatoes are tender and the glaze has thickened, about 10 minutes more. Transfer the dish to a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes before serving.