White Russian Rice Cereal Treats Recipe
The combination of coffee, cream, and booze is as good in a cocktail as it is in a milk shake, but we also like it mixed with puffed rice cereal and marshmallows. Add instant espresso powder to the crispy base, then glaze the top with a mixture of white chocolate, Kahlúa, and cream, for a sweet, coffee-infused treat.
What to buy: Be sure to buy white chocolate that contains cocoa butter (read the ingredients list); this will ensure that the chocolate melts properly. Don’t buy white chocolate chips.
Game plan: The finished treats can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 day.
For the treats:
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon hot water
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick), plus more for coating the pan
- 1 (10- to 10-1/2-ounce) bag mini marshmallows (about 5 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 6 cups puffed rice cereal (about 7 ounces), such as Rice Krispies
For the glaze:
- 8 ounces white chocolate (not chips), coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons coffee liqueur, such as Kahlúa
- Coat a 13-by-9-inch baking pan with butter and set it aside.
- Place the espresso powder in a small bowl, add the hot water, and stir until the powder has dissolved; set aside.
- Melt the measured butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add the marshmallows and salt and cook, stirring frequently, until the marshmallows are completely melted. Add the dissolved espresso powder and stir to combine.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add the rice cereal, and stir until combined. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking pan and press it into an even layer with your hands. Set it aside while you make the glaze.
For the glaze:
- Place the chocolate and cream in a small saucepan over low heat and stir until melted and combined (the mixture will not be completely smooth). Remove from the heat, add the coffee liqueur, and whisk until combined and smooth.
- Pour the mixture over the treats and spread it into an even layer. Let sit until the treats are completely cooled and the chocolate is set, about 30 minutes.
- Cut the treats into 24 (2-inch) squares. They can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 day.