The combination of coffee, cream, and booze is as good in a cocktail as it is in a milk shake, but we also like it mixed with puffed rice cereal and marshmallows. Add instant espresso powder to the crispy base, then glaze the top with a mixture of white chocolate, Kahlúa, and cream, for a sweet, coffee-infused treat.
What to buy: Be sure to buy white chocolate that contains cocoa butter (read the ingredients list); this will ensure that the chocolate melts properly. Don’t buy white chocolate chips.
Game plan: The finished treats can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 day.
- 1Coat a 13-by-9-inch baking pan with butter and set it aside.
- 2Place the espresso powder in a small bowl, add the hot water, and stir until the powder has dissolved; set aside.
- 3Melt the measured butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add the marshmallows and salt and cook, stirring frequently, until the marshmallows are completely melted. Add the dissolved espresso powder and stir to combine.
- 4Remove the pan from the heat, add the rice cereal, and stir until combined. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking pan and press it into an even layer with your hands. Set it aside while you make the glaze.
For the glaze:
- 1Place the chocolate and cream in a small saucepan over low heat and stir until melted and combined (the mixture will not be completely smooth). Remove from the heat, add the coffee liqueur, and whisk until combined and smooth.
- 2Pour the mixture over the treats and spread it into an even layer. Let sit until the treats are completely cooled and the chocolate is set, about 30 minutes.
- 3Cut the treats into 24 (2-inch) squares. They can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 day.