was part of
Outlook.com Recipe Challenge Benefiting Common Threads
which ended Aug 30, 2013 12:00 PM.
See winners »
Ground Turkey, Edamame & Brown Rice One-Skillet Wonder Recipe
I grew up loving all the "meal helper’ products that were first introduced in the 70’s. And after college when I was responsible for making my own meals, I realized that some of the “cheesy powders” and other pre-mixed ingredients probably weren’t the healthiest things to eat – especially because I couldn’t tell what was really in them.
But it wasn’t just the taste that I loved, it was also the convenience of cooking everything in one skillet. After learning how to cook with whole or less-processed ingredients, I started to create my own homemade version of a “helper” dish which has become my go-to main dish to make any day of the week.
It’s hearty, satisfying and filled with ingredients that everybody in the family loves – even kids!
- 1 pound ground turkey (93% lean)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh onion
- 1 tablespoon shredded fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 32 ounces vegetable or chicken broth
- 16 ounces edamame, shelled
- 1 1/2 cups instant brown rice
- 10 3/4 ounces cream of mushroom soup (preferably low sodium, low-fat)
- In a large skillet, begin to brown the ground turkey on medium-high. Pour in the broth and, using a cooking spoon or spatula, start to break up the meat. Add in the onion, basil and oregano. Stir regularly until the skillet starts to boil.
- Then add in the edamame and brown rice. Stir until well mixed, making sure there is still enough broth to cover the ingredients. If necessary, turn down the heat to allow for the dish to simmer on the stove’s burner. Typically, it should take about 15 minutes or so for the rice and edamame to properly cook and absorb the broth. Stir regularly to ensure even cooking.
- Watch the level of broth in the skillet. As soon as it almost disappears, remove the skillet from the burner and stir in the cream of mushroom soup until well blended.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.