was part of
Outlook.com Recipe Challenge Benefiting Common Threads
which ended Aug 30, 2013 12:00 PM.
See winners »
Stuffed Portobello w/Hummus Gravy Recipe
A great way to get kids to 1) enjoy nutrient-rich mushrooms, and 2) eat veggies. This plant-based, low-fat dish is delicious, easy to make and loved by all to whom I’ve served it…even mushroom haters!
- 4 large portobello mushrooms
- 1 bag frozen mixed veggies (i.e. peas, corn and carrots)
- 1 bag frozen brown rice
- 2 cups spinach, chopped
- 2 TBS nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup prepared hummus
- 3 TBS water
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Scrape gills away and wash mushrooms. Bake gill-side up for 10 minutes on foil or parchment covered cookie sheet. Once out of the oven, pour off water that will accumulate on mushrooms.
- Meanwhile, in medium-sized pot over medium heat warm the veggies and rice several minutes until no longer frozen. Add spinach and nutritional yeast and cook 5-10 minutes.
- Fill each mushroom with filling and bake 15 minutes.
- Combine hummus with water and microwave 20 second, stir, heat another 20 seconds until heated through. Drizzle over each mushroom and serve!
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.