This healthy and filling recipe for a vegan quinoa salad starts with roasting sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts, carrots, parsnips, and turnips while the quinoa cooks. Toss everything together in a tangy Asian dressing of scallions, sherry vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, and ginger. This salad is delicious warm or cold, so pack any leftovers for tomorrow’s lunch.
- 1Heat the oven to 400°F and arrange a rack in the middle.
- 2Place the sweet potato, Brussels sprouts, carrot, parsnip, turnip, oil, and measured salt and pepper in a large bowl and toss to combine. Transfer the vegetables to a baking sheet and arrange in an even layer; set the bowl aside (no need to wipe it out).
- 3Roast the vegetables, stirring every 5 minutes, until they’re tender and cooked through, about 18 to 20 minutes. Meanwhile, cook the quinoa.
- 4Place the quinoa in a medium saucepan, cover with about 2 to 3 inches of cold water, season with salt, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer, uncovered, until the white outer casings on the quinoa have popped, revealing translucent little beads, about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, make the dressing.
For the dressing and to assemble:
- 1Place all of the ingredients except the cilantro in the reserved bowl from the veggies and whisk to combine; set aside.
- 2When the quinoa is ready, drain it through a fine-mesh strainer and add it to the bowl with the dressing. Add the roasted vegetables and toss to combine. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed. Sprinkle with the cilantro (if using) and serve immediately or at room temperature.