This recipe takes the elements of an antipasti plate and uses them in an elegant breakfast bruschetta. Start by frying sliced salami until crispy, then scramble eggs in the flavorful salami fat and stir in some fontina cheese until melty. Top toasted bread with the cheesy eggs, crisp salami, and a little tapenade for a filling breakfast or a fun brunch dish.
Special equipment: You’ll need a pastry brush for this recipe.
Game plan: The number of toasts you can serve per person will depend on the loaf of bread you buy. For thinner, longer loafs, plan on 2 to 3 pieces per person; for wider, shorter loaves, 1 to 2 pieces per person.
- 1Heat the oven to broil and arrange a rack in the middle.
- 2Stack the salami slices and cut them into 1/4-inch-wide strips. Place in a large nonstick frying pan over medium-low heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 10 to 15 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the egg mixture and toast the bread.
- 3Place the eggs, milk, red pepper flakes, and measured salt and pepper in a large bowl and whisk until the eggs are broken up and the mixture is thoroughly combined; set aside. Place the bread on a baking sheet, brush a thin layer of the oil on each slice, and season with salt and pepper. Broil until browned and toasted, about 2 to 3 minutes; set aside.
- 4When the salami is ready, use a slotted spoon to transfer it to a paper-towel-lined plate; set aside.
- 5Pour the egg mixture into the pan. Let it sit undisturbed until the eggs just start to set around the edges, about 1 to 2 minutes. Using a rubber spatula, push the eggs from the edges into the center. Let sit again until the edges start to set, then spread back into an even layer. Repeat, pushing the eggs from the edges into the center every 30 seconds, until almost set, for a total cooking time of about 3 to 5 minutes. (The top of the eggs should still be slightly wet.) Remove the pan from the heat.
- 6Sprinkle in the cheese and gently fold until it’s melted. Divide the eggs over the toasts. Divide the tapenade evenly over the eggs. Sprinkle with the reserved salami. Serve immediately.