When you’re not in the mood to deal with pie dough, a crisp is the way to go. The straightforward filling for this peach crisp is a mixture of brown sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch, vanilla, and fresh peaches. Dump it into a baking dish and top it with a generous layer of crunchy oat-and-brown-sugar streusel. Drop a scoop of Cinnamon Ice Cream on top for a simple dessert to enjoy on a warm summer evening.
- 1Heat the oven to 425°F and arrange a rack in the middle.
- 2Place all of the ingredients in a large bowl. With your fingertips, blend the butter pieces into the dry ingredients until large clumps form and the flour and butter are completely incorporated, about 3 minutes. Crumble the clumps into small pieces the size of kidney beans, then refrigerate the streusel while you make the filling for the pie.
For the filling:
- 1Place the brown sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch, vanilla, and salt in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Add the peaches and stir until evenly coated.
- 2Transfer the mixture to an 8-by-8-inch glass or ceramic baking dish and arrange it in an even layer. Sprinkle the reserved topping evenly over the peaches.
- 3Bake until the topping is browned and crisp, about 20 to 25 minutes. Place the dish on a wire rack to cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.