This appetizer is like a pumped up version of shrimp cocktail. Instead of poaching the tail-on shrimp, toss them in oil and smoked paprika, thread them onto skewers, and grill until they’re just cooked through. Dip them in a tangy-sweet British sauce made with brandy, lemon juice, hot sauce, ketchup, and mayo for a flavor somewhere between cocktail sauce and Thousand Island dressing. Serve next to some Spinach Dip and Devils on Horseback for a retro party spread.
Special equipment: You’ll need 10 (12-inch) metal or wooden skewers for this recipe. Be sure to soak wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes beforehand to keep them from burning on the grill.
- 1Place all of the measured ingredients in a medium bowl, season with salt and pepper, and whisk to combine. Refrigerate in a covered container until ready to use.
For the shrimp:
- 1Heat an outdoor grill to high (about 450°F to 550°F). Meanwhile, assemble the shrimp.
- 2Whisk the measured oil, paprika, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Add the shrimp and toss to combine.
- 3Skewer each shrimp through both the tail and head end, leaving about 1/4 inch of space between each shrimp. Place the skewers on a baking sheet.
- 4Arrange the skewers in a single layer on the grill without touching. Close the grill and cook until grill marks appear on the bottom, about 4 minutes. Flip the skewers, close the grill, and cook until the shrimp are just firm, about 1 minute more. Transfer the skewers to a clean baking sheet.
- 5Remove and discard the skewers. Serve the shrimp with the sauce on the side for dipping.