Smoky Grilled Shrimp with Marie Rose Sauce Recipe
This appetizer is like a pumped up version of shrimp cocktail. Instead of poaching the tail-on shrimp, toss them in oil and smoked paprika, thread them onto skewers, and grill until they’re just cooked through. Dip them in a tangy-sweet British sauce made with brandy, lemon juice, hot sauce, ketchup, and mayo for a flavor somewhere between cocktail sauce and Thousand Island dressing. Serve next to some Spinach Dip and Devils on Horseback for a retro party spread.
Special equipment: You’ll need 10 (12-inch) metal or wooden skewers for this recipe. Be sure to soak wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes beforehand to keep them from burning on the grill.
For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the shrimp:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds large shrimp (about 45 shrimp), peeled (but with the tails intact) and deveined
- 10 (12-inch) skewers (soak wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes to avoid burning on the grill)
- Place all of the measured ingredients in a medium bowl, season with salt and pepper, and whisk to combine. Refrigerate in a covered container until ready to use.
For the shrimp:
- Heat an outdoor grill to high (about 450°F to 550°F). Meanwhile, assemble the shrimp.
- Whisk the measured oil, paprika, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Add the shrimp and toss to combine.
- Skewer each shrimp through both the tail and head end, leaving about 1/4 inch of space between each shrimp. Place the skewers on a baking sheet.
- Arrange the skewers in a single layer on the grill without touching. Close the grill and cook until grill marks appear on the bottom, about 4 minutes. Flip the skewers, close the grill, and cook until the shrimp are just firm, about 1 minute more. Transfer the skewers to a clean baking sheet.
- Remove and discard the skewers. Serve the shrimp with the sauce on the side for dipping.