Grilled Shrimp Tacos with Avocado-Corn Salsa Recipe
Fast and easy grilled shrimp make a lighter alternative to meaty taco fillings. Toss them quickly in spicy chipotle powder, cumin, and lime juice, then grill to develop a flavorful char. Stuff them into warm corn tortillas, top with a fresh avocado-corn-tomato salsa, and wash it all down with an ice-cold Michelada.
Special equipment: You’ll need 10 (12-inch) skewers. Be sure to soak wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes beforehand to keep them from burning on the grill.
For the salsa:
- 4 ears white or yellow corn, shucked
- 4 medium scallions, thinly sliced (white and light green parts only)
- 3 medium tomatoes, cored, seeded, and cut into small dice
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (from about 2 medium limes), plus more as needed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 serrano chile, stemmed and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 2 medium avocados
For the tacos:
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (from about 2 medium limes)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 pounds peeled and deveined large shrimp (about 45 shrimp)
- 10 (12-inch) skewers (soak wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes to avoid burning on the grill)
- 16 grilled or warmed corn tortillas
- Remove the corn kernels from the cobs: Place a large container on a damp towel. Fold a paper towel into fourths and place it inside the container. Stand 1 ear of corn on the paper towel, using the stem as a handle. Using a paring knife, slice downward, letting the kernels fall into the container. Rotate the cob and continue until all the kernels have been removed; discard the cob. Repeat with the remaining corn. Discard the paper towel.
- Add the scallions, tomatoes, measured lime juice, cilantro, serrano, and measured salt and stir to combine.
- Halve and pit the avocados. Using a paring knife, score the flesh of the avocado halves in a 1/4-inch-wide crosshatch pattern (be careful not to cut through the skin). Using a spoon, scoop the avocado pieces into the corn mixture and gently fold to combine.
- Taste and add more lime juice or salt as needed; set aside.
For the tacos:
- Heat an outdoor grill to high (about 450°F to 550°F). Meanwhile, assemble the shrimp.
- Whisk the lime juice, oil, chipotle powder, salt, and cumin together in a large bowl. Add the shrimp and toss to combine.
- Skewer each shrimp through the tail and head ends, leaving about 1/4 inch of space between each shrimp. Transfer the skewers to a baking sheet.
- Place the skewers in a single layer on the grill without touching. Close the grill and cook until grill marks appear on the bottom, about 4 minutes. Flip the skewers, close the grill, and cook until the shrimp are just firm, about 1 minute more. Transfer the skewers to a clean baking sheet.
- Remove and discard the skewers, transfer the shrimp to a cutting board, and coarsely chop. Place in a serving bowl.
- Serve the shrimp with the tortillas and salsa.