Lotsa Serranos Blazing Hot Sauce Recipe
Chris Rochelle, CHOW’s resident capsaicin addict, is just too busy to seed 24 serrano chiles, so he tosses them in the blender whole for this hot sauce. He adds cider vinegar and lime juice for freshness, and garlic and onion powder for savoriness. Use this sauce to top braised meats like pulled pork.
Game plan: The hot sauce is ready to be served right away, but the flavors will meld and the heat from the chiles will mellow after 2 or 3 days. Refrigerate in a container with a tightfitting lid for up to 2 weeks.
This recipe was featured as part of our photo gallery of 6 Face-Melting Hot Sauce Recipes.
- 24 serrano chiles, stemmed
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (from about 3 medium limes)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt