Balsamic-Marinated Grilled Flank Steak with Bell Pepper Relish Recipe
A simple marinade made in the blender with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, a bit of brown sugar, and fresh marjoram gives flavor to flank steak before it’s grilled. Save some of the marinade to mix into roasted bell peppers, and add chopped olives for a briny zing to the relish. Serve with greens drizzled with Creamy Peppercorn Dressing.
For the marinade and steak:
- 1 (1-1/2- to 2-pound) flank steak, trimmed of fat and silver skin
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 medium garlic clove, peeled and smashed
- 2 teaspoons packed dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh marjoram leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
For the relish:
- 3 medium red, orange, or yellow bell peppers (or a combination)
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped, pitted green olives
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat an outdoor grill to high (about 450°F to 550°F). Season the steak generously with salt and pepper and place it in a 13-by-9-inch baking dish.
- Place the remaining measured ingredients in a blender and blend until evenly combined, about 30 seconds. Remove 3 tablespoons of the marinade and set it aside for the relish.
- Pour the remaining marinade into the dish with the steak, turn the steak to coat, and let it marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through. Meanwhile, grill the peppers for the relish.
For the relish:
- Place the bell peppers on the grill. Cover the grill and cook, turning occasionally, until the peppers are blackened and blistered on all sides, about 25 minutes.
- Transfer the peppers to a large bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap or a large plate and let sit until cool enough to handle, about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, grill the steak.
To grill the steak:
- Remove the steak from the baking dish and let any excess marinade drip off; discard the marinade. Place the steak on the grill and season it generously with salt and pepper. Cover the grill and cook until grill marks appear on the bottom, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Flip the steak and season generously with salt and pepper. Cover the grill and continue to cook until grill marks appear on the bottom and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the middle of the steak registers 125°F to 130°F for medium rare, about 5 to 6 minutes more. Transfer to a large, clean plate and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes. Meanwhile, finish the relish.
To finish the relish:
- Transfer the peppers from the bowl to a cutting board. Set the bowl aside, reserving any liquid inside. Use a knife to scrape and peel the skins off; discard the skins. Slice the peppers open and remove the seeds and membranes. Cut the peppers into medium dice and return them to the large bowl.
- Add the remaining measured ingredients and the reserved marinade and stir until evenly combined. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Thinly slice the steak against the grain, season it with salt and pepper, and serve with the bell pepper relish.