Velvetbomb Punch Recipe
When you’re celebrating St. Patrick’s Day and are on the road to Buzztown, it’s usually more about the destination than the journey. This boozy but balanced punch cuts the trip short by combining Guinness, cider, and whiskey. First, freeze nonalcoholic and hard apple cider into an ice block. When you’re ready to get your drink on, pour the beer and more hard cider into a punch bowl and add the ice block. Pour the whiskey over top of the frozen cider, and as the cider block thaws it’ll give the punch the sweet-tart flavor of a Black Velvet cocktail with a whiskey back.
Game plan: Make sure to start your ice block either the day before you want to serve the punch or early that morning. Also, make sure the punch bowl is wide enough to accommodate the ice block.
- 5 (12-ounce) bottles hard apple cider, such as Ace, chilled
- 2 cups apple cider or unfiltered apple juice
- 6 (14.9-ounce) cans Guinness Draught, chilled
- 2 cups Irish whiskey, such as Jameson
- Pour 3 bottles of the hard cider and all of the apple cider or juice into a 12-cup Bundt pan and freeze until solid, at least 8 to 10 hours.
- When ready to serve, pour the Guinness and the remaining 2 bottles of hard cider into a 7-quart punch bowl. Float the ice block in the bowl and pour the whiskey over it. Serve immediately.