Easy Spicy Turkey Chili
This quick and spicy chili made with ground turkey lies somewhere between a hearty, rib-sticking beef chili and a lighter vegetarian version. First, ground turkey is cooked with red bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Chili powder, cayenne, cumin, and little bit of cinnamon are added to give warm spice and heat, then tomatoes and white beans are stirred in and left to simmer until the flavors mingle. In about an hour, this satisfying weeknight meal is ready to be ladled into bowls and topped with crumbled tortilla chips.
For the chili:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper, medium dice
- 1 medium yellow onion, medium dice
- 2 medium garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth or stock
- 2 (14-ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Tortilla chips
- 1Heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add the bell pepper, onion, and garlic, season with salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have softened, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- 2Increase the heat to medium high, add the turkey, and cook, breaking it up into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon, until it’s no longer pink and is just cooked through, about 4 to 6 minutes.
- 3Add the chili powder, measured salt, oregano, cumin, cayenne, and cinnamon, stir to coat the turkey and vegetables, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- 4Add the tomatoes and their juices as well as the broth or stock, stir to combine, and bring to a simmer. Add the beans and return to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium low, add the bay leaf, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the flavors meld, about 30 minutes.
- 5Remove the bay leaf. Taste and season with additional salt as needed. Serve with the cheese, sour cream, and chips, for topping.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved