Espresso-Bourbon Caramel Sauce
The sweetness in this rich caramel sauce is balanced out by the addition of bourbon and espresso powder. Start by boiling butter, brown sugar, and cream, plus some light corn syrup to keep the caramel from crystallizing. When it’s ready, flavor it with bourbon and espresso powder for a boozy sauce that adds a little extra pizzazz to a scoop of ice cream or a slice of Mississippi Mud Cake.
Game plan: The sauce can be made up to 4 days ahead. Let it cool to room temperature, cover, and refrigerate for up to 4 days. Reheat in a saucepan, whisking over low heat until smooth and pourable.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (3/4 stick)
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 1Melt the butter in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add the brown sugar, cream, and corn syrup and stir until smooth. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- 2Remove from the heat, whisk in the bourbon and espresso, and set aside until slightly cooled, about 20 minutes. Before serving, whisk the sauce until smooth.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved