These cookies are a mix of two classics: Peanut Butter Blossoms (the ones with a chocolate Kiss stuck in the center) and thumbprint cookies. In this version we added a little cocoa powder to the peanut butter cookies, and added peanut butter to the chocolate center. Once the cookies are baked, a depression is made in them (like a thumbprint), the peanut-and-chocolate ganache is spooned into the hole, and peanuts are sprinkled on top, for a double-chocolate, double-peanut extravaganza.
- 1Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange the racks to divide the oven into thirds. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- 2Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl and whisk to aerate and break up any lumps; set aside.
- 3Combine the butter and sugars in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until lightened in color and fluffy, about 3 to 4 minutes. Stop the mixer and scrape down the beater and sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- 4Add the peanut butter, egg, and vanilla and mix on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Reduce the speed to low, add the reserved flour mixture, and mix just until the dough comes together.
- 5Scoop 16 level tablespoons onto each prepared baking sheet. Roll each portion between your hands to form a smooth ball and place them back on the baking sheet about 1 inch apart.
- 6Bake both sheets for 8 minutes. Rotate the sheets from top to bottom and front to back and bake until the cookies are set around the edges but still soft in the center, about 6 to 7 minutes more.
- 7Remove the sheets to wire racks and immediately use the back of a round teaspoon or the end of a large-handled wooden spoon to make an indentation in the center of each cookie. Let the cookies cool completely on the baking sheets, about 10 to 15 minutes. Meanwhile, make the filling.
For the ganache filling:
- 1Place the chocolate and peanut butter in a medium heatproof bowl; set aside.
- 2Place the cream in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Pour over the chocolate and peanut butter and let stand until the chocolate softens, about 5 minutes. Stir until evenly combined and smooth.
- 3Fill the indentation of each cookie with about 1 teaspoon of the ganache filling, sprinkle with the peanuts, and let sit until set, about 1 hour.