Modernist Cuisine's Individual Microwave Yellow Cakes Recipe
Modernist Cuisine’s Scott Heimendinger shared this cool recipe from the new cookbook Modernist Cuisine at Home to make a fluffy, impressive dessert from boxed cake mix in about a minute in the microwave.
Special equipment: You will need a whipping siphon and 4 nitrous oxide canisters for this recipe.
For the cake batter:
- 1 box Betty Crocker SuperMoist Yellow Cake Mix
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- Whipping siphon
- 4 nitrous oxide canisters
- Paper cups
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Prepare the batter as directed on the box.
- Pour half of the batter into the whipping siphon and charge with 2 of the nitrous oxide canisters.
- Using scissors, make a few vertical cuts in the bottoms of the paper cups to allow steam to escape.
- Spray the paper cups with cooking spray.
- Siphon the batter into the paper cups until they’re a quarter of the way full. (Do not overfill.)
- Cook 1 cup at a time in the microwave on high power for 1 minute.
- Invert each cup on a plate and allow it to rest for a few seconds while the steam escapes, then tap the cup on the plate to release the cake.
- Repeat the whole process with the remaining cake batter.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by the CHOW food