Modernist Cuisine’s Scott Heimendinger shared this cool recipe from the new cookbook Modernist Cuisine at Home to make a fluffy, impressive dessert from boxed cake mix in about a minute in the microwave.
Special equipment: You will need a whipping siphon and 4 nitrous oxide canisters for this recipe.
- 1Prepare the batter as directed on the box.
- 1Pour half of the batter into the whipping siphon and charge with 2 of the nitrous oxide canisters.
- 2Using scissors, make a few vertical cuts in the bottoms of the paper cups to allow steam to escape.
- 3Spray the paper cups with cooking spray.
- 4Siphon the batter into the paper cups until they’re a quarter of the way full. (Do not overfill.)
- 5Cook 1 cup at a time in the microwave on high power for 1 minute.
- 6Invert each cup on a plate and allow it to rest for a few seconds while the steam escapes, then tap the cup on the plate to release the cake.
- 7Repeat the whole process with the remaining cake batter.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by the CHOW food team.