This sweet potato pie, a cousin of pumpkin pie, is filled with a sweet custard made from mashed sweet potatoes, warm spices, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, and vanilla. After your pie dough is rolled out, just pour in the filling and bake. Make the pie ahead to serve the next day.
Game plan: To bake the sweet potatoes, check out this basic recipe.
- 1Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the lower third. Place a baking sheet on the rack.
- 2Lightly flour a work surface and roll the dough out into a round approximately 12 inches in diameter and 1/4 inch thick. Line a 9-inch pie plate with the dough and fold the excess under itself, crimping the edges to seal. Place in the refrigerator while you make the filling.
- 3Place the measured flour, cinnamon, allspice, baking powder, cloves, and salt in a small bowl and whisk to combine; set aside.
- 4Place the sweet potatoes in a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and mix on medium speed until smooth, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs 1 at a time, letting the first completely incorporate before adding the second. Stop the mixer and scrape down the paddle and sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- 5Return the mixer to medium speed, add the sugar, and mix until fully incorporated, about 1 minute. Reduce the speed to low, add the reserved flour mixture, condensed milk, melted butter, and vanilla and mix until just incorporated.
- 6Transfer the filling to the crust. Place the pie on the hot baking sheet and bake until the filling is just set in the middle and the edges are puffed, about 50 to 60 minutes. Remove to a wire rack and let cool completely before serving, about 1 hour.