Cornbread, Sausage, and Apple Stuffing Recipe
Serve this stuffing as part of your Thanksgiving meal to soak up all the gravy from the turkey. For this recipe, we chill homemade cornbread to dry it out a little, which makes it easier to cut and helps the bread cubes keep their shape while you mix everything together. Toss it with savory sautéed Italian sausage, tart apples, chicken broth, and fresh sage and bake until golden brown.
Game plan: This stuffing can be completely made ahead. Cool and refrigerate until ready to serve. Rewarm uncovered in a 350°F oven for about 30 to 40 minutes.
- 1 recipe Easy Cornbread, chilled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes (or about 9 cups of your favorite cornbread)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/4 stick), plus more for coating the baking dish
- 1 pound uncooked sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 3 medium Granny Smith apples, cored and medium dice
- 2 medium celery stalks, medium dice
- 1 medium yellow onion, medium dice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage leaves
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups stock or low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Heat the oven to 375°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Coat a 13-by-9-inch baking dish with butter and set aside.
- Place the cornbread in a large bowl; set aside.
- Melt the measured butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat until foaming. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon, until it’s no longer pink and is starting to brown, about 6 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to the bowl with the cornbread and set aside.
- Return the pan to medium heat, add the apples, celery, onion, sage, salt, and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion has softened, about 10 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium high, add the wine, scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan, and cook until the wine is almost evaporated, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Pour the apple mixture over the cornbread and sausage, add the broth and eggs, and stir until combined and thoroughly moistened.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and spread it into an even layer. Bake uncovered until the top is golden brown, about 30 to 35 minutes. Remove to a wire rack and let cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.