Boozy Biscotti Iced Coffee Recipe
At an early morning tailgate or after a long night of holiday cheer, this cold, caffeinated beverage can get you in a jolly mood fast. Simply steep some coffee grounds in cold water the night before, then strain. Next morning, spike the cold brew with some amaretto and Pernod, and you’ve got a slightly buzzy, biscotti-flavored iced coffee that inspires cheer.
What to buy: Pernod is a bright yellow anise-flavored liqueur that adds a distinct licorice flavor to this drink. It can be found in most liquor stores or online.
Game plan: The coffee needs to steep for at least 12 hours, so plan accordingly.
You can brew the coffee in a 32-ounce French press if you prefer. Place the ground coffee and water in the pitcher, place the plunger lid on top, but don’t press the plunger down. After the coffee grounds have steeped, gently press down on the plunger until the grounds reach the bottom of the pitcher. Then proceed with step 2 of the recipe.
This recipe was featured as part of our tailgating breakfast recipes.
For the coffee:
- 4 1/2 ounces coarsely ground coffee (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 3 1/2 cups cold water
For the cocktails:
- 2 cups cold water
- 8 ounces chilled amaretto
- 2 ounces chilled Pernod
- Milk, for serving
- Place the coffee grounds in a 2-quart pitcher, add the water, and stir to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and let steep at room temperature for at least 12 hours and up to 1 day.
- Line a fine-mesh strainer with a standard coffee filter and fit it over a medium bowl. Working in batches, slowly pour the coffee into the filter until all of the liquid has passed through the strainer (the coffee will pass through in a slow stream; don’t force it through); stop when you reach the solids at the bottom of the pitcher (don’t pour them in). Discard the grounds and the contents of the strainer.
- Wash and dry the pitcher. Transfer the strained coffee into the pitcher. Cover and refrigerate until completely chilled, at least 2 hours or up to 5 days.
For the cocktails:
- When ready to serve, add the water, amaretto, and Pernod to the strained coffee and stir to combine. Serve over ice, passing milk on the side.