This grilled breakfast sandwich is a welcome departure from your standard egg and cheese on a bagel. Breakfast-sausage patties and tart apple slices are grilled and glazed with maple syrup, then stacked on toasted English muffins with melted sharp cheddar cheese. The result is a hearty hand-held breakfast that’ll get you revved up for a day of tailgating, a weekend of camping, or just facing the Monday morning status meeting.
Special equipment: You’ll need a pastry brush or barbecue basting brush for this recipe.
Game plan: The sausage can be shaped into patties up to 1 day ahead, covered, and refrigerated.
This recipe was featured as part of our tailgating breakfast recipes.
- 1Divide the sausage into 4 equal portions. Shape each portion into an even 1/4-inch-thick patty that’s about 1/2 inch wider in diameter than the English muffins. Using your thumb, make a shallow 1-inch-wide indentation in the center of each patty, place them on a plate, and set aside.
- 2Heat a grill pan or outdoor grill to medium high (about 375°F to 425°F). Meanwhile, slice the apple into (1/2-inch-thick) rounds. Set aside the 4 widest slices, removing any seeds as necessary. Save any extra apple slices for another use.
- 3When the grill is ready, use tongs to rub the grate with several layers of paper towels dipped in vegetable oil. Using a flat spatula, transfer the 4 apple slices and the sausage patties (indentation-side up) onto the grill and cover the grill. Cook undisturbed (do not press down on the patties) until grill marks appear on the bottom of the patties and apples, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- 4Flip the patties and apples and brush them with the measured maple syrup, using all of it. Cover the grill and cook until the patties are cooked through and the apples have softened slightly, about 3 to 4 minutes more. Remove to a clean plate and tent loosely with foil.
- 5Place the muffins cut-side down on the grill and toast until grill marks appear on the bottoms, about 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the muffins and evenly distribute the cheese among all of the muffin halves. Cover the grill and continue to cook until the cheese has melted, about 3 minutes more. Remove to a work surface.
- 6To assemble, place 1 sausage patty and 1 apple slice on 4 of the muffin halves; top with the remaining 4 halves. Serve immediately, passing additional maple syrup on the side.