Slow Cooker Chicken Recipe
The ingredients that go into a slow cooker chicken recipe(Filipino chicken adobo), and their proportions, depend on where you’re from or how your mother or grandmother made it—it’s a source of heated debate—but at the dish’s core, it’s really meat or seafood that’s braised in a vinegary sauce. This easy, mild version cooks onions, chicken, soy sauce, and vinegar in a slow cooker, and takes advantage of bone-in chicken thighs’ extra flavor from the bones. The onions absorb the savory sauce, and all that’s needed to complete the meal is a pile of steamed rice to soak everything up.
Game plan: This recipe gets better as it sits, and can be made up to 1 day in advance.
This dish was featured as part of our Cozy Chicken recipe gallery.
- 4 medium yellow onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 medium garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 1 (5-inch) piece fresh ginger, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Steamed rice, for serving
- Place the onions, garlic, ginger, and bay leaf in an even layer in the slow cooker.
- Remove and discard the skin from the chicken. Arrange the chicken in an even layer on top of the onion mixture.
- Whisk the soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, and pepper together in a medium bowl and pour it over the chicken.
- Cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through and falling off the bone, about 4 to 5 hours on high or low. Remove and discard the ginger pieces and bay leaf. Serve with steamed rice.