Pumpkin–Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
Adding a bit of pumpkin purée, cinnamon, and nutmeg to a basic cream cheese frosting gives it holiday appeal. It’s also easy to make: Just beat butter and cream cheese together in a mixer, then add powdered sugar and spices, and throw in the pumpkin at the end. Use it to frost pumpkin cupcakes, carrot cake, or ginger cake.
This recipe was featured as part of our pumpkin sweets recipe gallery.
- 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 12 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), at room temperature
- 1/3 cup pumpkin purée (not pie filling)
- Place the sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a medium bowl and whisk to combine; set aside.
- Place the cream cheese and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and beat on medium speed until fully combined and smooth, about 1 minute.
- Reduce the speed to low, slowly add the powdered sugar mixture, and beat until fully incorporated and smooth, about 3 minutes. Stop the mixer and scrape down the paddle and sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Turn the mixer to medium speed, add the pumpkin, and mix until fully incorporated and smooth, about 1 minute. Use immediately.