CHOW Test Kitchen
This classic guacamole starts with mashed ripe avocados and gets a little zing from scallions, jalapeño, cilantro, and lime juice. Serve it with quesadillas and baked tortilla chips and kick back with a cold beer.
What to buy: Look for avocados that give slightly when pressed but are not completely soft. We used Hass avocados.
Game plan: If you prefer your guacamole a little spicier, don’t remove the seeds from the jalapeño.
This recipe was featured as part of our guacamole recipe gallery.
- 1 1/4 pounds ripe avocados (about 3 medium), halved and pitted
- 1 medium scallion, minced (white and light green parts only)
- 1/2 medium jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice, plus more as needed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1Scoop the flesh from the avocados into a medium bowl. Mash with the back of a large fork or a potato masher to make a chunky paste.
- 2Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Taste and season with additional lime juice and salt as needed. Serve immediately or place a sheet of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the guacamole and refrigerate for up to 2 hours. (The plastic wrap will keep the surface of the guacamole from turning brown.)
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved