This light summer dessert uses honey to soften the natural tartness of apricots. As the fruit warms on the grill, it turns soft and juicy and takes on just a touch of smokiness. Meanwhile, strawberries are macerated with citrus and herbs to yield a fresh, summery sauce. The two fruits meet up over pillowy angel food cake slices—or pound cake, if you prefer—for a light fresh-fruit dessert.
Special equipment: You will need a pastry brush for this recipe.
What to buy: Rosemary adds a distinct herbal flavor to the strawberry mixture, but it can be omitted if you like. Plums can be substituted for the apricots in this recipe.
- 1Heat a grill pan or outdoor grill to medium high (about 375°F to 425°F).
- 2Meanwhile, combine the strawberries, sugar, orange zest, orange juice, mint, and rosemary in a medium bowl; set aside. Whisk the honey and water together in a small bowl until combined, set aside.
- 3When the grill is ready, place the apricots on a baking sheet and brush both sides with the honey mixture, using all of it. Place the apricots on the grill cut-side down (reserve the baking sheet). Cover the grill and cook until grill marks appear on the bottom, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- 4Using a flat metal spatula, flip the apricots, cover the grill, and cook until grill marks appear on the second side and the apricots begin to soften, about 2 to 3 minutes more. Remove the apricots to the reserved baking sheet.
- 5To serve, place the slices of angel food cake on a serving platter. Top with the apricots cut-side up, then top with the strawberry mixture. Serve immediately.