Apricots and Herbed Strawberries with Angel Food Cake Recipe
This light summer dessert uses honey to soften the natural tartness of apricots. As the fruit warms on the grill, it turns soft and juicy and takes on just a touch of smokiness. Meanwhile, strawberries are macerated with citrus and herbs to yield a fresh, summery sauce. The two fruits meet up over pillowy angel food cake slices—or pound cake, if you prefer—for a light fresh-fruit dessert.
Special equipment: You will need a pastry brush for this recipe.
What to buy: Rosemary adds a distinct herbal flavor to the strawberry mixture, but it can be omitted if you like. Plums can be substituted for the apricots in this recipe.
- 1 pound strawberries, washed, hulled, and medium dice
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest (from about 1/2 medium orange)
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves (optional)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons water
- 8 medium apricots (about 1 pound), halved and pitted
- 1 angel food cake, sliced into 16 pieces
- Heat a grill pan or outdoor grill to medium high (about 375°F to 425°F).
- Meanwhile, combine the strawberries, sugar, orange zest, orange juice, mint, and rosemary in a medium bowl; set aside. Whisk the honey and water together in a small bowl until combined, set aside.
- When the grill is ready, place the apricots on a baking sheet and brush both sides with the honey mixture, using all of it. Place the apricots on the grill cut-side down (reserve the baking sheet). Cover the grill and cook until grill marks appear on the bottom, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Using a flat metal spatula, flip the apricots, cover the grill, and cook until grill marks appear on the second side and the apricots begin to soften, about 2 to 3 minutes more. Remove the apricots to the reserved baking sheet.
- To serve, place the slices of angel food cake on a serving platter. Top with the apricots cut-side up, then top with the strawberry mixture. Serve immediately.