Easy Grilled Buffalo Wings Recipe
Marinating these wings in buttermilk makes them extra juicy and impossible to dry out while cooking. Just mix together buttermilk, garlic powder, and hot sauce, then toss in the wings and let them soak. When you’re ready to grill, throw the wings on the barbecue, and when they’re done, coat them with a buttery, spicy sauce. Eat them plain or dipped in Blue Cheese Dressing.
What to buy: The spiciness of these wings will depend on your choice of hot sauce. We prefer the mild to medium spiciness from brands like Frank’s RedHot or Crystal, but feel free to use something hotter if you prefer.
- 1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) mild to medium hot sauce
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 pounds chicken wings, separated into 2 pieces and wing tips discarded
- Vegetable oil, for oiling the grill
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick), melted
- Blue Cheese Dressing (optional)
- Celery sticks (optional)
- Place 1 cup of the hot sauce, the buttermilk, and garlic powder in a large resealable plastic bag and stir to combine. Add the wings and seal the bag, pressing out any excess air. Turn the bag to coat the wings evenly. Let marinate in the refrigerator, turning occasionally, for at least 2 hours or up to 12 hours.
- Heat an outdoor grill to medium high (about 375°F to 425°F). When the grill is ready, use tongs to rub the grate with several layers of paper towels dipped in vegetable oil. Remove the wings from the marinade, letting any excess drip off, and discard the marinade. Place the wings on the grate in a single layer so they’re not touching (if needed, cook them in batches). Cover the grill and cook, flipping the wings occasionally with tongs, until they’re no longer pink at the bone and the skin is slightly charred in spots, about 25 minutes total.
- When the wings are almost ready, combine the remaining 1/2 cup hot sauce and the melted butter in a large bowl and set aside. Add the cooked wings to the bowl and toss to coat. Serve immediately with blue cheese dressing and celery sticks, if desired.