Like banana bread, zucchini bread is an easy quick bread to put together, without the need for any fancy appliances. Just mix the dry ingredients together in one bowl, the wet in another, combine the two, and pour the batter into a bread pan. After about an hour in the oven, and a little time to cool, you’ll have a tender, sweet, flavorful bread to enjoy for breakfast, teatime, or a snack.
Special equipment: You’ll need a metal 9-by-5-inch loaf pan for this recipe. Loaf pans can be purchased at most cooking supply stores and at many large grocery stores.
You also might want to try our savory quick bread recipes.
- Unsalted butter, for coating the pan
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for coating the pan
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 12 ounces zucchini (about 2 to 3 medium zucchini), ends trimmed, grated on the large holes of a box grater (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Coat a 9-by-5-inch metal loaf pan with butter and flour, tapping out any excess flour; set aside.
- 2Place the measured flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt in a medium bowl and whisk to aerate and break up any lumps. Set aside.
- 3Place the eggs, sugars, oil, and vanilla in a large bowl and whisk until the eggs are broken up and the mixture is thoroughly combined. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the flour mixture until just combined. Fold in the zucchini until evenly mixed.
- 4Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread it into an even layer. Bake until a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes.
- 5Transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool slightly, about 15 minutes. Run a knife around the perimeter of the pan and turn the bread out onto the rack to cool completely.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved