Christian Hermsdorf's Gnocchi Recipe
The chef at Cupola Pizzeria offers his expert tips on this delicate Italian dish.
- Russet potatoes
- Slightly beaten eggs
- Parmesan cheese
- Boil the unpeeled, whole potatoes until a fork inserted into the potatoes comes out easily. Drain and let cool slightly.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle but still warm, peel them, then run them through a ricer.
- On a lightly floured surface, form the riced potatoes into a mound. Add the remaining ingredients plus just enough flour to get the dough slightly tacky and crumbly. Mix the dough with your hands just until it binds.
- Form the dough into long, 1/2-inch-wide strands, then cut the strands into pieces.
- Add the gnocchi to a pot of gently simmering water; work in batches. You’ll know the gnocchi are done when they start to float.
- Shock the gnocchi in an ice bath to stop the cooking process, then place them on a serving dish.
- Serve with a simple sauce like brown butter and sage.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by