When you have strawberries to use up and you need to feed a crowd, reach for this easy strawberry bread pudding recipe. Cubed French bread is soaked in a mixture of eggs, milk, cream, and brown sugar, then fresh strawberries are folded in. After baking, it comes out of the oven with crispy edges and a creamy, custardy center. A dollop of tangy crème fraîche whipped cream adds the finishing touch to this comforting dessert.
What to buy: Don’t use frozen strawberries in this recipe—they’re too watery and will fall apart.
This recipe was featured as part of our Summer Strawberry Desserts.| by Christine Gallary
- 1Place the eggs in a large bowl and whisk to break them up. Add the milk, cream, sugar, vanilla, and salt and whisk until the mixture is evenly combined. Add the bread and stir to combine. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours.
- 2Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Place a large piece of aluminum foil on the rack to catch any juices that may overflow from the dish while baking.
- 3Meanwhile, remove the bread mixture from the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes. Generously coat a 13-by-9-inch baking dish with butter and set it aside. Wash, dry, hull, and cut the strawberries into medium dice.
- 4Add the strawberries to the bread mixture and fold gently until they’re evenly combined. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and spread it into an even layer, pressing gently to compact it slightly.
- 5Cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil. Place the dish on the foil in the oven and bake until the custard around the outer inch is set, about 1 hour. Remove the foil covering the dish and continue to bake until the surface of the bread pudding is browned in some spots and the center is just set, about 45 minutes more.
- 6Remove to a wire rack and let cool for at least 30 minutes before serving. When ready to serve, make the whipped crème fraîche.
For the whipped crème fraîche:
- 1Chill the bowl of a stand mixer and the whisk attachment in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- 2Place all of the ingredients in the bowl and whisk on high speed until medium peaks form, about 1 to 2 minutes. (Alternatively, you can use a hand whisk and a large chilled bowl. Whisk all of the ingredients until medium peaks form, about 5 to 6 minutes.) Serve immediately with the bread pudding.