The food editor of Sunset magazine elevates Thanksgiving mashed potatoes to their rightful status as much more than a side dish.
- 1Peel and rinse the potatoes, then cut them into evenly sized chunks.
- 2Place the potatoes in a pot of cold, heavily salted water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 25 minutes, until the potatoes fall apart when pierced with a knife.
- 3Drain the potatoes and return them to the hot pot. Dry them over low heat, stirring until they completely fall apart and are white on the edges.
- 4Finish mashing the potatoes with a hand masher or a ricer.
- 5Add the milk or cream until the mixture looks like soup, then stir constantly until the milk or cream has been absorbed.
- 6Stir in chopped herbs of your choice and butter to taste. Serve immediately.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by the CHOW food team.