Threading a whittled stick with marshmallows and roasting them for s’mores is the iconic camping rite of passage. Most people buy all the ingredients for s’mores at the store, but making your own chocolate graham crackers will wow ’em by the campfire. Bake the chocolate grahams at home and bring them along; then, when it’s s’more time, smear them with peanut butter or spiced cookie butter, roast the marshmallows, smash them together, and enjoy this dessert under the stars.
Game plan: The chocolate graham crackers can be made up to 5 days in advance and stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
For tips on successful marshmallow roasting, watch Supertaster’s informative video tutorial.
This dessert was featured as part of our Make-Ahead Car Camping Recipes.
- 1Whisk together the flours, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl; set aside.
- 2Place the sugar and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and mix on medium speed until light and fluffy, stopping and scraping down the bowl halfway through, about 3 minutes total. Add the egg and beat until incorporated. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Turn the mixer to low speed, slowly add the dry ingredients, and mix until just incorporated.
- 3Divide the dough into 2 equal portions and shape them into 1-inch-thick squares. Wrap each tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the oven to 350°F and arrange 2 racks to divide the oven into thirds.
- 4Unwrap 1 dough portion and place it on a sheet of parchment paper. Lightly flour a rolling pin, then roll the dough into a rough 10-1/2-inch square. (If the dough becomes too soft and difficult to handle, place it back in the refrigerator to firm up.) Trim the dough to make a 9-inch square. Cut the dough into 9 (3-inch) squares, but do not separate the squares. Slide the parchment and dough onto a baking sheet and set aside at room temperature. Repeat rolling and trimming the remaining portion of dough and place on a second baking sheet.
- 5Place both baking sheets in the oven and bake for 8 minutes. Rotate the sheets from front to back and top to bottom, and continue baking until the graham crackers are fragrant and crisp around the edges, about 7 minutes more.
- 6Remove from the oven and transfer the crackers on the parchment sheets to a work surface. Let cool for 5 minutes. Using your hands, break the crackers into squares using the marked lines as a guide. Immediately transfer the crackers to a wire rack to cool completely. Store the chocolate graham crackers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
To assemble the s’mores:
- 1For each s’more, spread 1 tablespoon of the peanut or cookie butter on 9 of the graham crackers; set aside.
- 2Thread 3 marshmallows onto a skewer and roast until golden brown and toasted on all sides.
- 3Carefully place the roasted marshmallows on the peanut or cookie butter side of 1 graham cracker and top with a second plain graham cracker. Gently squeeze the crackers together and remove the stick. Serve immediately. Repeat to make additional s’mores.