Radish and Wax Bean Salad with Crème Fraîche Dressing Recipe
This departure from wispy, limp lettuce salads is an elegant, yet substantial, mix of vegetables. A combination of blanched green beans, blanched yellow wax beans, and raw radishes is drizzled with a tangy crème fraîche dressing that includes fresh tarragon and lemon zest, then garnished with sliced almonds. Pair it with some grilled chicken or poached salmon for an easy weeknight dinner or alfresco lunch.
Game plan: The dressing can be made up to 1 day ahead, and the green beans and wax beans can be cooked up to 1 day ahead. Store everything in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
This recipe was featured as part of our Chunky, Unusual Summer Salads.
For the dressing:
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest (from about 1 medium lemon)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the salad:
- Kosher salt
- 12 ounces green beans, ends trimmed and cut on the bias into 1-inch lengths
- 12 ounces yellow wax beans, ends trimmed and cut on the bias into 1-inch lengths
- 2 bunches medium radishes (about 1 pound), tops trimmed, washed, and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Place all of the ingredients in a small bowl and stir to combine; set aside.
For the salad:
- Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the green beans and cook until just tender, about 3 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare an ice water bath by filling a large bowl halfway with ice and water; set aside.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the green beans to the ice water bath and set aside. Return the water to a boil, add the wax beans, and cook until just tender, about 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer the yellow beans to the ice bath and let sit until all of the beans are cool, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the beans from the ice water bath, spread them out on a clean kitchen towel or a paper towel, and pat them dry with additional towels.
- Transfer the beans to a large serving platter and spread the radishes on top in an even layer. Drizzle with the dressing and sprinkle with the almonds.