Bok Choy and Pineapple Salad with Peanut Dressing Recipe
This light and refreshing salad is a loose interpretation of the popular Indonesian dish gado-gado. In our easy version, a spiced peanut dressing is blended until creamy and then tossed with thinly sliced raw baby bok choy, pineapple, carrots, cucumber, cilantro, and scallions. To turn this healthy side dish into a flavorful meal, top it with some broiled tofu or Drunken Shrimp.
What to buy: Look for chile-garlic paste in the Asian section of your supermarket. We like the one made by Huy Fong Foods (with the rooster on the jar).
Game plan: You can prepare the vegetables a few hours ahead of time and store them separately in the refrigerator. The dressing can also be prepared a few hours ahead, but it may need to be reblended when you’re ready to serve. Make sure to dress the salad just before serving; otherwise it’ll wilt as it sits.
This recipe was featured as part of our Chunky, Unusual Summer Salads.
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup natural smooth peanut butter (no added sugar or salt)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (from about 2 medium limes)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons packed dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 medium garlic clove, smashed
- 1 teaspoon chile-garlic paste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
For the salad:
- 2 pounds baby bok choy
- 2 1/2 cups fresh small-dice pineapple (from about 1/2 medium pineapple)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise, then thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/2 medium English cucumber, quartered lengthwise, then thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup roasted, salted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium scallions, thinly sliced (white and light green parts only)
- Place all of the ingredients except the oil in a blender and blend on high until smooth. With the motor running, slowly stream in the oil until it is fully incorporated; set the dressing aside in the blender.
For the salad:
- Cut the bok choy in half lengthwise, rinse it, and dry it. Cut the leaves crosswise into 1-inch-wide ribbons, cut the stalks crosswise into 1/4-inch pieces, and transfer both to a large bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients, drizzle with the dressing, and toss to combine. Serve immediately.