Asian-Marinated Baked Chicken Recipe
Spending a few minutes preparing a handful of ingredients for a marinade gives this dish tons of flavor, plus the bonus of a built-in sauce after the chicken is cooked. Just combine soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and a little brown sugar in a baking dish, add the chicken, and let it marinate in the fridge overnight. When you’re ready to cook it, put the whole dish in the oven, and in 40 minutes you’ll have crispy, saucy, flavorful chicken. (Note: If you’re using a glass or ceramic baking dish, do not skip step 3 where you bring it up to room temperature before baking, or else your dish could crack!) Serve with rice and a quick vegetable side dish.
Game plan: If you’re using chicken breasts for this recipe, cut them in half crosswise before putting them in the marinade so they’ll cook at the same rate as the rest of the chicken pieces.
Click below to watch the CHOW Test Kitchen’s Amy Wisniewski make this easy weeknight dinner in an episode of our Easiest Way video series.
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons peeled and finely chopped fresh ginger (from 1 [3- to 4-inch] piece)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic (from about 5 medium cloves)
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs, drumsticks, or breasts, or a combination of all three
- Place everything except the chicken in a 13-by-9-inch broiler-proof baking dish and whisk to combine.
- Lay the chicken in a single layer in the marinade and turn to coat. Cover, refrigerate, and marinate at least 12 hours and up to 24 hours, turning the chicken at least once during the marinating time.
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the oven to 475°F and arrange a rack in the middle.
- Turn all the chicken pieces skin-side up in the dish (if you’re using drumsticks, just turn to recoat them in the marinade). Bake until the chicken is starting to turn a dark brown color, about 40 minutes.
- Set the oven to broil and broil until the chicken skin is crisped, about 3 to 5 minutes more. Serve with the sauce on the side.