Leftover Easter lamb can quickly be transformed into a satisfying pita sandwich. Just stuff slices of the lamb into a toasted pita, add some onion and cucumber tossed with a simple vinaigrette, and spoon on a fresh herb-yogurt sauce. Serve with a Mediterranean Couscous Salad or Tabbouleh.
This recipe was featured as part of our Easter Leftovers recipe slideshow.
- 1Combine all of the measured ingredients in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper; set aside.
For the sandwich:
- 1Place the oil and vinegar in a medium, nonreactive bowl and whisk to combine. Add the onions, season with salt and pepper, and stir to coat. Set aside until the onions mellow in flavor, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly toast the pitas and set aside.
- 2When the onions are ready, add the cucumbers to the bowl and toss until coated with the vinaigrette.
- 3Spread about 1 heaping tablespoon of the yogurt sauce inside each pita.
- 4Place a quarter of the lamb and a quarter of the cucumber-onion mixture in each of the pitas. Drizzle the desired amount of remaining sauce over the tops of each pita and serve.