Basic Bloody Mary Mix
This Bloody Mary mix sticks to the basics: tomato juice, horseradish, hot sauce, celery salt, and Worcestershire sauce. It makes a balanced drink with citrusy brightness and a little heat. If you’re the type who treats your Mary as a pre-brunch snack, load up on garnishes like olives, pickles, celery, or pickled prawns. It’s best to make the mix the night before you want to serve it so the flavors can meld, then just mix with vodka and serve.
For the mix:
- 3 cups (24 ounces) tomato juice
- 1 1/2 ounces freshly squeezed lemon juice (from about 1 medium lemon)
- 1 1/2 ounces freshly squeezed lime juice (from about 2 medium limes)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons peeled and finely grated fresh horseradish
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups (16 ounces) vodka
- Celery stalks (optional)
- Dill pickle spears (optional)
- Pickled green tomatoes (optional)
For the mix:
- 1Place all of the ingredients in a nonreactive 1-quart container and whisk until well combined. Cover and refrigerate until the flavors meld and the mix is chilled, at least 2 hours or preferably overnight. The mix will keep refrigerated in a container with a tightfitting lid for up to 24 hours.
- 1When ready to serve, whisk the mix to recombine.
- 2Fill 8 highball glasses halfway with ice. Pour 2 ounces of the vodka and 4 ounces of the mix into each glass and stir to combine. Garnish each with a celery stalk or dill pickle spear and a pickled green tomato, if using.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved