Emilia Terragni's Basil Pesto
Adapted from "The Silver Spoon"
- 25 fresh, medium basil leaves
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1 garlic clove, crushed (optional)
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
Place the basil leaves, pine nuts, garlic (if using), and a pinch of salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a blade attachment. Process for about 5 or 6 (1-second) pulses. Add the grated cheeses and process for another 5 or 6 (1-second) pulses. With the motor running, add the oil in a slow, steady stream and process until the mixture’s smooth. Taste the pesto and season with salt and pepper.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved