Porcini-Parmesan Salt Recipe
Earthy porcini mushrooms and salty Parmesan are a winning Italian combination. Ground and mixed with salt, they become the perfect seasoning for scrambled eggs, roasted chicken, or creamy pasta, pumping up those dishes with savory, umami flavor.
Special equipment: You will need a coffee or spice grinder for this recipe.
What to buy: We used Diamond Crystal brand kosher salt in this recipe. The crystals of kosher salt vary across brands, so if you use another brand, be sure to measure by weight or else the ratio of flavors in the recipe will change. Diamond Crystal is available in most grocery stores.
This recipe was featured as part of our DIY Flavored Salts project.
- 1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1/2 cup kosher salt (about 2 1/2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Place the mushrooms in a coffee or spice grinder and pulse into small, flaky bits no larger than a sesame seed, about 10 to 15 (1-second) pulses. Transfer to a medium bowl, scraping out any bits from the grinder.
- Add the salt and Parmesan cheese to the bowl and whisk to combine. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 months.