was part of
Tailgating Recipe Touchdown Challenge
which ended Sep 13, 2011 12:00 PM.
See winners »
gulf coast chumbo Recipe
In a recent interview, Cyril Neville of the famous Neville Brothers spoke of his relocation to Texas from his beloved New Orleans. He called his new music “chumbo”, an amalgamation of Texas and Louisiana influences (chili and gumbo). I thought this would be a great dish to actually make for tailgating. The rich flavor of lime and pepper chicken reflects the Cuban influence in South Florida, and the gumbo base of okra and garlic is a nod to New Orleans. Chile and jalapenos should appeal to lovers of all things Texas. This is not a purists dish, but it’s a helluva lot of fun to make-and eat!
- 1 16oz bottle KC Masterpiece Chipotle and Lime marinade.
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken (dark meat retains moisture better)
- 1 lb. okra, trimmed, sliced into quarter inch pieces
- 2 cups diced canned tomatoes
- Half cup diced yellow onion
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can pinto beans
- 4 oz sliced jalapenos
- 1 tablespoon minced smoked garlic
- 2 tblsp chile powder
- one half teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 oz cubed ham or smoked turkey
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 package McCormick's white chicken chili seasoning mix
- Marinate chicken in 8-10 oz of Chipotle and Lime marinade OVERNIGHT (I know, instructions say 30 minutes or more, but the robust flavor is worth the wait). Grill each side of the chicken until no longer pink inside. Set aside.
- In a large pot heat 2-3 tablespoons of canola oil over medium-high heat. Cook the okra using a wooden spoon, stirring constantly, until most of the okra’s stickiness dissipates, 10-12 minutes. Add the onions and garlic,chile powder and cayenne. Add ham and cook until vegetables are soft. Cut chicken into bite sized pieces, add to pot. Add chicken stock, tomatoes, beans, jalapenos and McCormick’s seasoning, stirring constantly. Cover and simmer.
- Let chumbo cook for 30 minutes until mixture is thick. Remove from heat to adjust seasonings, if needed. Serve over rice or pasta. Garnish with shredded cheese, if desired.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.