was part of
Tailgating Recipe Touchdown Challenge
which ended Sep 13, 2011 12:00 PM.
See winners »
I’m a Kansas City native, transplanted to New York. The two states are worlds apart, but the Buffalo marinade made by an old KC favorite makes me feel right at home. For game day, I wanted to create a snack with the buffalo marinade that was easy to carry and full of cheesy, saucy goodness. The perfect solution: Empanadas. Enjoy!
- 1Heat your oven to 400° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 2In a small saute pan over medium high heat, saute onions for two minutes stirring occasionally. Add ground chicken, celery salt, and salt and stir, breaking chicken up into pieces. Cook four minutes. Add KC Masterpiece Buffalo Marinade and cook an additional minute. Remove from heat.
- 3On a flat countertop, lay puff pastry out, one sheet at a time. Use a rolling pin to roll sheet out slightly so it measures about 10.5" by 10.5". Cut five circles out of each puff pastry sheet with a 4 inch cutter, creating ten circles total from both sheets.
- 4Working one at a time, lay circles out and place a scant 2 tablespoons of chicken in the center. Top with a tablespoon of shredded cheese. brush outer rim of pastry with egg, fold in half over filling and pinch ends to seal in filling. Continue until all circles are filled and gently place empanadas on baking tray. Brush tops with remaining egg.
- 5Bake 15-17 minutes, until cheese bubbles out and empanadas are golden brown. Serve with additional buffalo sauce on the side.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.