Muffin Pan Popovers Recipe
Popovers, America’s version of Yorkshire pudding, are pastries that impressively rise up and over the pans they’re baked in. They have a crisp exterior but a soft, pillowy inside, perfect for serving with a juicy slice of prime rib. All you need is a blender and a muffin pan to whip them up—no popover pan needed. These easy and versatile pastries can also be slathered with jam and served with your morning tea.
Game plan: If you don’t have a 12-well muffin pan, you can use two 6-well muffin pans; just be sure to bake them side by side in the oven.
This recipe was featured as part of our story on hand-held meals you can make in a muffin pan.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup whole milk, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Heat the oven to 425°F. Remove all of the racks from the oven except one arranged in the lower third position. Place a baking sheet in the oven while it heats.
- Place 1/2 teaspoon of the butter into each well of a 12-well muffin pan; set aside.
- Place the remaining 1 tablespoon butter, eggs, milk, sugar, and salt in a blender and blend until smooth, about 30 seconds. Turn off the blender, add the flour, replace the lid, and blend until just smooth, about 30 seconds. Set the mixture aside in the blender.
- Place the prepared muffin pan in the oven on the heated baking sheet and bake until the butter sizzles, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the muffin pan and the baking sheet from the oven. Pouring from the blender, fill the wells of the muffin pan halfway up with batter.
- Return the muffin pan and baking sheet to the oven. Bake until the popovers are puffed and the tops are starting to brown, about 20 minutes. (Do not open the oven door during the baking time.) Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F and bake until the popovers are golden brown all over, about 15 minutes more. (Do not open the oven door until the popovers have baked at least 35 minutes.)
- Remove the muffin pan and baking sheet from the oven and place them on a wire rack. Remove the popovers from the pan and serve immediately.